Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sicky Poo

Ah, being sick...so many thoughts.

As I lie here on the couch about to force myself to do a nasal rinse, gargle and a few other things the doctor prescribed (including drinking water...so much water) and then eat some soup, I am deciding to be thankful for this time.

March was a busy month, an insane month. I knew going into it. I would open my planner and cringe, 2 beautiful weddings, searching for and then moving to a new apartment, heavy work schedule, showers, birthdays, church and extra church events, previous obligations, errands...life. I kept telling myself "just make it through this month. You can rest in April."  Well, apparently my body decided we'd make good on that. The end of the month culminated in a rather wonderful wedding of two of my dear friends. Also included at the end of the month was food poisoning, dehydration, too much sun, dehydration, exhaustion, voice disappearing and I hurt my back moving the last of my stuff to the new apartment and did I mention dehydration?

My doctor was so kind to me yesterday and gave me a list of to dos and a prescription. My favorite part was him telling me I have to rest, because if my body doesn't get some rest I'm not going to get better. I think my words to him were "easier said than done." But shortly after that I was at Target picking up my 'get well' items. I was extremely tired and pushing the hand cart on the floor with my feet because I couldn't carry it. I realized I had to get some rest and I cannot allow myself to ever get here again. Ever.

So over the next few days I'm going to develop clear boundaries for myself for what I can and cannot do. Saying no more often may become the norm, as well as getting to bed earlier. And the past few days I've been spending so much time with God -- reading the Bible, praying, being still and listening -- it's replenishing and necessary for each day. I will continue to do this. It's time I won't budge on, time I look forward to and time I'm thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment